University          Director of Rugby:
Saints Rugby

The University of St. Andrews Rugby Football Club was founded in 1858. "In 1858-59 Rugby Football was started by an old Rugby boy" it is said from the reminiscence of James Simpson Scotland who was a matriculated student at the University at that time. However the beginning of something akin to the modern system of organised athletic activity seems to have been associated, in the case of St Andrews, with the opening of St Leonard's Hall in 1861. This was a residence for male students deliberately designed to win back the Scottish aristocracy and professional classes from the English Universities.

Andrew Lang, who came from Edinburgh Academy as an original member of St Leonard's Hall is quoted as saying "Rugby football and golf and cricket were much more in our thoughts than the historical associations of the place", and indeed in November 1863 the hand written St Leonard's Magazine mentioned that "Our football club has been found for the session or season under circumstances of unexampled prosperity. Our subtle thanks to his energy and zeal in four years of captaincy" although it did not mention any names, it is thought unlikely to have been that same "old Rugby boy" but a certain Charles Stewart (St Leonard's Magazine of the 1860's was written entirely by Andrew Lang).

At this time rugby was thought of at the forefront of varsity activity together with golf and cricket, as exemplified in the very same article; "Play hard and keep at it and while you are about it, let your training, your muscular exertion and high spirits lead you to a place in the XV, and being in that enviable position, play to win". The XV being mentioned here is probably the hall XV as at this stage the University and St Leonards formed two separate clubs.



South Africa 2014
Canada 2012
South Africa 2008




Polland 2007
South America 2006
New Zealand 2004




South Africa 2002
Australia 2000
Canada 1998




South Africa 1996
North America 1993
France 1985




Canada 1980
Grenoble 1979
Devon 1978



DEVON 1977

Jersey 1972
Holland 1971
Cambridge 1970






Canada 2012

Devastated by the sudden death of former Club and 1st XV captain Steven Sims, the boys agreed that Tour 2012 needed to be dedicated to this outstanding man and everything that we did on and off the pitch would be done in his honour. Thoughts of Steven and his family were never far away from us during the two weeks in Western Canada and we had a successful tour all round in his name.

The 1st of June 2012 saw the official start of tour at Bibi's cafe, St Andrews, where 26 tourists gathered for the tour dinner followed by a 3:30am bus to Manchester Airport. Despite a few initial worries about people making it on the bus, (somehow) all 26 made it safely to Manchester and on the flight to Vancouver.

The first four days were based in Downtown Vancouver where frequent visits to 'The Pint' proved the ideal preparation for our game against Abbotsford RFC who play in the CDI Premier league in British Columbia. An emotional minutes silence preceded a very tough game against a physical opposition, however, the Saints ran out 28-27 winners after scoring two tries in the last 5 five minutes. Champagne rugby at its best. A superb post match reception in the Abbotsford clubhouse was greatly appreciated by all the boys and capped a great first few days on tour in Canada.

Canada 2012

The next stop on tour was the city of Victoria on Vancouver Island. The first Tour court here proved to be many people's breaking point, however, the whale watching trip the morning after lifted morale after Orca whales swam just 5 meters from the boat - something not seen very often apparently. A day out to Shawnigan Lake School followed and after a great touch session where "we were looking sweet", the Saints felt they could take on the Canada under 20's. Game day brought national anthems, a huge crowd and a live worldwide video stream. This was certainly a tougher game than expected...

Whistler provided a chilled out atmosphere for the next three days on tour where the squad took part in White Water Rafting, quad biking and trekking into the pristine forests of the area. The many activities on offer here was a real highlight for many boys in the squad and a chance to relax after the Canada game was appreciated by all.

Canada 2012

After a few great days in Whistler, the squad headed back to Vancouver to play against British Columbia U23's at Brockton Oval in Stanley Park. It was another hard game but one in which the boys really pulled together and competed well against a strong opposition. BC eventually won the game 57-25 but the defeat for the Saints didn't dampen the mood and after a great post match reception, both teams headed out into Vancouver.

The last few days were also based in downtown Vancouver and boys made the most of being away on tour. Overall, it was a successful tour which the boys appeared to enjoy immensely. For many of the guys, this is their last ever rugby tour at university and so it was a great way to end their student lives before they graduate.

We would like to thank Abbotsford RFC, Canada U20's and BC U23's for the matches and also all the post match functions that were put on for us. We would also like to thank Shawnigan Lake School for the use of their facilities and for providing us with dinner before the Canada match.

Best forward - Nick 'Chewbacca' Winton
Best Back - Chris 'Jack Twist' Wardle
Man of tour - Jeremy 'The Spleen' Gordon


Touring squad: Jack Hancock, Eliot Brown, Matt Cannon, Pete Hutchison, Gordon Stevenson, Jamie Zegleman, Duncan Lawrence, Paul Rein, Ali Baxter, Ross Finlayson, Scott Speirs, Giles Smith, Fergus Knight, Cammy Dickie, James McKinnel, Pete Williams, Duncan Higgins, Richard Berry, James McFarlane, Tom O'Malley, Duncan Brown, Duncan Calder, Steve Sims, Fraser Mitchell, Ian Salter,

South Africa 2008 South Africa 2008


Touring squad: Jamie Kelly, James McFarlane, Ross Finlayson, Jack Hancock, Duncan Lawrence, Duncan Higgins, Stewart Coleman, Scott Speirs, Stewart Hardy, Phil Poots, Jamie Zegleman, Fraser Mitchell, Jonny Brock, Steve Sims,Chris Irvine.

Polland 2007


Touring squad:Dave Gyte, Colin Marshall, Mike Franklin, Joihn Donnelly, Pete Macloed, Stewart Coleman, Andy Fraser, Paul Rein, John Kinnell, Phil Rutterman, Marc Thompson, Stewart Hardy, Roger Flint, Cammy Dickie, Giles Smith, Richard Talbot, Phil Poots, Richard Berry, Mike Heslop, Jamie Kelly, Jonny Brock, Dave Trapp.

South America 2006 South America 2006 South America 2006


Touring squad: Rory McBride, Mike Heslop, David Clark, Oliver Sheath, Phil Rutterman, James Colver, Stewart Coleman, Julian Broadhead, Will Sinclair, John Kinnell, Andrew Duke, Joihn Donnelly, Andy Fraser, Tom Hurdman, Richard Laing, Fergus Knight, Graham Reid, Dom McNeil, Euan MacKay, Richard Matthews, Alasdair Knight, John Shannon, Ali Buchan, Peter Burns.

New Zealand 2004 New Zealand 2004 New Zealand 2004

New Zealand Tour Brochure 2004



With the rugby club's 2004 tour to New Zealand only a few short weeks away, I began to reminisce about the last antipodean expedition which we embarked on to South Africa almost two years ago. Now, I would ask the reader to please forgive the limitations of this review as it has been written such a long time after the event and, as is the tradition of such tours (especially university ones), much of the two-and-a-half weeks in the Republic was spent in a rather delicious, booze-infused haze. Please bear with me as I try to penetrate these clouded memories

The tour began with a meal in the Gin House - our sponsors for the 2002/ 2003 season - where the kit was handed out to each player and our sponsors presented us with awards for the conclusion of the tour. These included a DVD player to the Player of the Tour, a mini-disc for Fresher of the Tour, a night at the Three Sisters Hotel in Edinburgh for Clubman of the Tour. And so we were set. We had prizes to compete for whilst striving for victory in each match, and our individual bags of kit which would clothe us for the next half-month. Let me explain a little further about the tour kit. Each player was given a bag in which there were a playing jersey and socks, two polo shirts, a kilt and a 'wife beater' vest. Before we embark for New Zealand at the end of June I must inform all travelling members (who didn't go to South Africa) that, along with a smart shirt, tie, shoes, boots, kilt socks, playing shorts and the odd pair of boxer shorts, the kit provided in the bags is all you will need whilst away. Towels can be acquired from each hotel bathroom, laundry can be left in a heap outside your room when you go to bed and will miraculously be clean and folded by the morning, and any training kit can be purchased at dirt-cheap prices. There are four types of dress on tour:
- Playing kit: shirt, shorts, socks, boots
- No. 1s: smart shirt, tie, kilt, socks, shoes
- No. 2s: polo shirt, kilt, socks, shoes
- No. 3s: shorts/ jeans/ tracksuit bottoms, t-shirts, shoes/ trainers

Although retail therapy will be slightly more limited in New Zealand than in South Africa because of differences in exchange rates, I would advise all forthcoming tourists to curb your spending until you get there - everything is so much cheaper and if you buy too much you can always ship bags home! But, I digress, this is meant to be a review of South Africa, not a preface to New Zealand.

The 2002 tour squad, made up of 26 players, spanned all four years of academic life, from fresh-faced freshers to puffy-faced fourth years with heavily pickled livers. Some might say that we left for South Africa at a slight disadvantage, as only 23 of the 26 players were capable of taking the field (and helpfully contributing anything). Those three members, however, still played a big part in the tour experience - Oli Birch led the lash, Michael Choong took the photos, and Ben Ludzker was fortunately a world-class expert at everything so made sure the rest of us never put a foot wrong. Nevertheless, those who took the field did themselves and the club immensely proud. But more of that later.

We touched down in Durban on the morning of 2nd July and were met by our tour guide Sidney - who proved to be one of the craziest bus drivers ever to sit behind a steering wheel - and were transported to Umhlanga Rocks in northern Durban. On route we stopped at one of the cities most famous seafood restaurants and in true rugby spirit all ordered steaks. Having checked into our very impressive hotel we wandered down to the beach some hundred yards away and spent several glorious hours playing touch until sundown - a fantastic time, which bonded the party together, kicked off the tour superbly, and an afternoon I will always remember and cherish. The afternoon was crowned when Andrew 'the sea cow' Duke made a mercurial break down the wing only to be enveloped by the biggest wave I have ever seen. The first hazy night of tour lash followed afterwards, and Dave 'the peacock' Fearnley met Pocahontas. He still maintains that she was over 16, but we're not convinced.

South Africa 2002

Two days of sightseeing, eating, shopping, lash and the odd training session followed before our first game against the Empangeni Rhinos. I have always enjoyed evening matches, but because a number of Scottish clubs cannot facilitate them, they have been few and far between during my career. The feeling on the dark bus as crazy Sidney drove us to the stadium was electric, and as we stepped onto the turf for our warm-up, the crowds had already begun to gather. The Rhinos were currently riding high, joint top of the Natal Premiership and the game had been widely advertised. There was even a curtain-raiser, with the Rhinos' junior team playing a local rival. One of the more seminal - and terrifying moments - came as we were on a warm-up lap of the pitch. A member of the crowd called down and asked if we were the colts team about to play in the curtain-raiser. Our response that we were in fact the touring team was greeted with a bellow of laughter and a quote I shall never forget: "Ha! Those Rhinos are big boys. You'd better run home now before they break you little fellas!" A nervous giggled rolled around our squad and we trotted off to stretch (hide) behind the far posts.

South Africa 2002

My nerves were not helped when we went back into the stand just before kick off to don our playing shirts and have a final chat. Just as I was turning into our changing room, I looked across the corridor and saw into the opposition changing room where the biggest man I have ever seen was being helped into his number 3 shirt by his team mates. The man mountain I was staring at was to be my opposite number in the scrum. I was beginning to wish that I had heeded the advice from the man in the crowd.

Running out onto that pitch was a truly magic moment. The grass had a light frost which seemed to quiver as the crowd behind us roared. The game was so fast and so furious that I can only remember glimpses of it. After a season at St Andrews which had promised so much but ultimately delivered very little in terms of championship titles and trophies, I couldn't believe the way we played that night. Every hit was immense, from Oli 'the beaver' Jones smashing their centre just after kick-off, to James 'the seal' Park orchestrating the defence superbly from full-back, we never leaked a try. Two highlights of the game for me came in the form of a try through a driven lineout and a dumptackle on our line on their rampaging hooker. I picked up Man of the Match that night but would gladly have seen it go to any of the other guys who stepped onto that pitch. That's the beauty of tour. You make the most fantastic friends, and those who you were close to before become even closer, and as a reslut you tend to play the best rugby that you ever will together. It was a shame that the game itself was lost 12-7, but with only two of the Rhinos team missing because they were at a trial for the Natal Sharks Super 12 squad, our heads were held high. We now knew that we could compete with teams echelons away from the standard found in National Division Five, Caledonia A, in which we play every Saturday.

South Africa 2002 South Africa 2002

Bruised, battered and very hungover, we travelled up to the Bushlands Game Lodge in Northern KwaZulu-Natal for a couple of days of game drives and recuperation. This was a real highlight of the tour and as the squad was split up into a number of different jeeps we all managed to see the Big Five of Africa - Rhinos, Lions, Leopards, Buffalo and Elephants. John 'Young Gun/ Eel' Shannon particularly enjoyed the Elephants, especially when one stuck a tusk in the side of our jeep and poked around. After hours of his terrified burbling I did wonder if he would ever be capable of coherent speech again.

South Africa 2002 South Africa 2002 South Africa 2002
South Africa 2002 South Africa 2002

On Monday 8th July we transferred back to Durban before flying down to Cape Town, where we were picked up by our second guide: mountain climbing Wayne - a true gentleman and highly skilled bus driver, a welcome relief after our adventures with Sidney - who drove us to Stellenbosch. Whilst we didn't get a chance to play the world famous university in this town we still had a terrifically challenging game against Van der Stel on July 9th. The game was played in torrential rain and again we played some superb rugby. It was a wonderful evening for Stu 'the badger' Fuller as his parents arrived as a surprise visit before the match. Stu had the misfortune to miss the entire 2001/ 2002 season (for which he had been selected as captain) thanks to a knee injury, but it was great to have him back in action in SA. To cap it all off, he scored a magic solo try, dummying his way to the line from 40 metres out, running in apparent slow motion and without anyone laying a finger on him. He deservedly picked up Man of the Match, and led the boys on a superb night out.

South Africa 2002 South Africa 2002 South Africa 2002

We were to have only one day off before our third fixture against the University of Cape Town. Despite the usual bumps and bruises picked up from the Van der Stel game, the fixture was made even more difficult because of a fabulous excursion to our sponsors of the 2001/2002 season, the Fleur de Cap Vineyard on 10th July. We were treated superbly by the vineyard owners and a number of the tour party continued the merriment into the early hours of Thursday morning.

UCT were a class outfit who outpowered and outplayed us for much of the match, but James Park had another superb game - despite going swimming fully clothed the day before, wrestling in the afternoon, and hitting the booze again in the evening - and picked up Man of the Match. Andy 'the great tit' Cumming made a great impact late on, but the tour festivities had got to his insides somewhat, and he required a new pair of pants after the final whistle.

South Africa 2002

The following morning we were transferred back in to Cape Town for the final leg of the tour. Cape Town was a truly gorgeous location to finish our expedition. Highlights included a trip up Table Mountain, deep sea fishing, diving with Great White sharks, visiting the Canterbury factory and buying loads of cheap stash, a boozy visit to Fort Simon vineyard, and eating and drinking down at the various waterfronts. Our final match was against the University of Western Cape, another game played in a fantastic stadium in front of a huge crowd. Again we played some fantastic rugby, but some incredibly shoddy refereeing decisions went against us, and although Ben 'the goose' Leathes, Fuzzy 'the skunk' Liston, Elliot 'the monkfish' Kayser, James 'the horse' Petrie and man of the match Tom 'the herring' Smitham battled tirelessly we ended up losing by a single point. The changing room afterwards held a very poignant moment as all the fourth years sang the club song and stripped themselves of the club shirt for the very last time. This is a memory which will live with me forever, and has become all the more meaningful as I know I will be doing exactly the same thing after playing the University of Otago two months from now.

South Africa 2002 South Africa 2002
South Africa 2002 South Africa 2002

Whilst the record will state that we played four, lost three and only won one game, those who were part of the tour squad to South Africa in 2002 will know that we achieved so much more than the statistics say. We stood up and showed the talent and heart which existed in a small Scottish university rugby club, we made the greatest of friendships and memories, all of which will last for a lifetime. May the same be said of New Zealand 2004.

South Africa 2002

Sanibona. Yebo. Pete 'the Ox' Burns. May 11th 2004.

Player of the Tour - Peter Burns
Fresher of the Tour - James Dalby
Clubman of the Tour - Richard Matthews

Empangeni - L
Van der Stel - W
University of Western Cape - L

Touring squad: Andrew Duke, John Shannon, Alasdair Knight, Kerr Young, Matthew Frankfurt, Elliot Keyser, John Gilmore, James Park, Gareth Knight, Richard Matthews, Andrew Cumming, David Clark, Peter Burns, Richard Laing, Ben Ludzker, Thomas Smitham, James Petrie, Stuart Fuller, Ben Leathes, Oliver Jones, David Fernley, Oliver Birch, Fergus Knight, James Dalby, Peter Liston, Michael Choong.


The tour spirit was captured early on by a few members of the squad who decided to celeidh to the amusement and delight of many a tourist and airport staff in the beautiful cactus garden of Singapore airport, which was in fact an open-air bar! We arrived in Darwin at 5am to find a picture postcard scene of the sun rising over the Northern Territories Institute of Sport Stadium and Tommy 'Spud' Bryson promptly captured the mood with a few tunes on his bagpipes. More importantly our hosts were preparing a "barbi" (BBQ) which was a fantastic welcome to follow what for most people was a 24 hour, high altitude binge! (More JC with OJ for OJ please JP!)

Our first fixture was against the National Institute. After being led out onto the pitch by our piper we secured a favourable 24-13 outcome, Clarkey collapsing from the heat (!?!) after 30 mins. Socialising in Darwin was never a problem for a touring party in kilts, so Chipper (who is apparently Australian) assured us. With the close of the night-clubs at 6am, Uncle Sam's food hall beckoned, where Ali Bell found the pavement a little difficult to master! On the following day James Bennett (never really intending to play rugby) found pleasure pig hunting in the swamps with his hosts, while the rest of the squad enjoyed the sunset and entertainment at the Darwin Surf Club with a few schooners.

A short flight down the coast and we landed at Cairns Airport and made our way to the palatial Colonial Club Resort guided by our host Rita. The squad took the opportunity to take a once in a lifetime trip to the Outer Barrier Reef where there was the chance to go snorkelling, diving or for a ride an observatory submarine. The day was also memorable for Ben Ludzker's first of several adventures with water (see rafting below). On the rugby front we convincingly beat James Cook University. This was possibly our best performance with the Saints hitting the right pace straight from the first whistle and several key players being able to be substituted in the last quarter. The win was particularly satisfying because Aberdeen University had recently played Cook, losing heavily. We also had the opportunity to watch the highlights on local TV with accompanying interview by Alasdair Pennie. The next day's entertainment saw us rafting down the Tully River where a good time was had by all. Igor, to great amusement to everyone else, couldn't find a helmet large enough to encase his gargantuan cranium, and the members of Ben Ludzker's crew are still thankful to him for saving all their lives whilst their boat was caught sideways in a rip! Frankly, everyone was delighted to back on dry land and at a local reception laid on for us at the local Sailing Club, where Stan charmed Rita with his legendary wit.

Disaster struck when Stuart Fuller, a key player in the squad, had his jaw broken in a completely unprovoked street attack. It is at this point I hasten to remind you of the adage "What goes on tour stays on tour" which in this case Stu decided to forget! We said goodbye to him when we arrived at Brisbane Airport and continued to Surfers Paradise. The Hotel Manager was delighted to see us and we returned his warmth by later naming a backs move after him. The Paradise was mainly notable for the first Tour Court, an event that caused many of the squad to utter Bob's Bad Words, especially Alistair 'Marms' Marman. Obviously it would be wrong to reveal why Tuigs ended up with a sheep strapped to his body but a bouncer rightly accused him of being a walking fire hazard. We dispatched Bond University in a performance that unfortunately saw Pete Miles taken to hospital with concussion and neck damage. We would like to thank Richie Morrison's Aunt and Uncle for coming along to lend their support. In any case our presence gave something for the British Olympic team to live up to when they arrived for a training camp shortly after we left.

Over the border we came to a decidedly more chilly Armidale. The hospitality here was warm and friendly and Morrison and Leathes found their secret passion in life as we were invited by one of the billets to spend a day at their Sheep farm and help out with the shearing if one so desired. The game against New England District XV proved to be a serious test and we lost 27-26 despite some excellent Saints play in the closing stages. The evening's entertainment was riotous if anything, ending for those that could cope in a little nightclub called MOJOS. Thanks to Tom Hinton's video camera, a plot to steal a five-dollar note was foiled, and the evidence presented in court; the punishment: press-ups - but of course clap press-ups are easier than normal ones! (Are there sheep with blue faces?)

Australia 2000

Our first view of Sydney was of the illuminated Bridge and Opera House and was a fantastic sight. Before we turned into regular tourists though, there was the small matter of a game to play at Sydney University. Sydney is a university with 30 000 students and they give out 26 rugby scholarships a year, nevertheless, we went out to do ourselves proud against their Combined Colleges team. We came away with a heavy loss but with the rugby side of the tour over we prepared for a celebratory night after a winning tour at a College informal for about 800 people.

We transferred to a hotel by Darling Harbour for the final few days of the tour and a bit of relaxation. The highlight was undoubtedly the visit to Stadium Australia for the Bledisloe Cup - probably one of the most exciting rugby games in history and a bargain at 8 a head. For the duration of the Olympics in September girlfriends and flatmates were plagued by comments such as 'I sat over there' and 'it looks even better when you're there'. A visit to the Taronga Zoo entertained the animal-lovers of the party and later Tuigs was also reunited with some his former Wasps teamates - to the utter astonishment of everyone else. The Tour finally came to an emotional close at the final Tour Court in a bar overlooking Darling Harbour.

Australia 2000

On a serious note, our hosts were always impressed that our preparation for the Tour was done with very little outside help - full marks to Ben Leathes for his excellent captaincy and Pennie for the slick organisation. See you in South Africa in 2002.

NTIS Darwin Barbarians W
James Cook University W
Bond University W
New England District L
Sydney University L

Touring Squad: A. Pennie (Manager), B. Leathes (Team Captain), B. Collis, P. Miles, M. Frankfurt, J. Tyler (Player of the Tour), R. Morrison, S. Saunders, I. Blain, A. Marman, B. Ludzker, T. Smitham, G. Knight, S. Butcher, S. Fuller, W. Woodman, G. Clarke, J. Easton, O. Jones, D. Fearnley, W. Fraser, A. Bell, T. Hinton, G. Young, A.Knight, T. Bryson, J. Bennett, B. Price

Australia Tour Brochure 2000


It was with some trepidation that twnety-one lads from the rugby club flew to Canada for a three-week sojourn in the sun. Rugby, socialising, sightseeing and swimming were all on the cards and so was Newfoundland which was to be the first port of call. The Canadian hospitality started as it meant to continue, generous to the extreme, as our first opposition met us at our hotel to allocate billets. Some much-needed bonding in the form of a night out preceded the first game. This was exacted in the tour uniform of rugby socks, kilt and tour polo shirt. It was this bond amongst the squad that was to be most significant throughout the tour.

We stayed in St John which was one of the most laid back parts of Canada that we visited. Our first game was against Newfoundland under 20s and we knew that it would be a game to be played with pace and precision. A narrow loss was the outcome, partly due to a lack of fitness and partly because a lack of unity, but the experience fostered the team unity and was ultimately to stand us in good stead. We took this experience into what was to become the best match of the tour against The Dogs. A tight pitched battle of a game saw the University triumph due to our complete commitment and superior technical ability. A massive steak and a few beers followed this with an interesting trip to Benders nightclub.

Montreal was the next stop and we stayed in the idyllic halls of McGill University. Some sightseeing, relaxing and of course the mandatory swimming trip were all on the cards. The boys took the opportunity to recuperate and experience the fabulous nightlife at our local favourite, Winston Churchill's. The next game was to be played in Ormstown against the local side. An interesting place, it captured the heart of one of our players who chose to stay there after the tour. In a slight break with tradition, a few soft drinks were consumed the night before the game at a boat regatta. The University went down 50-45 in the searing midday heat and a lesson had been well learnt. A weary squad continued its journey as we went to check out Oshawa.

We played the Oshawa Hawks and suffered a narrow defeat but the team was continuing to develop and the rugby was enjoyed by all. It was whilst staying in Oshawa that the best day trip was organised as we went rafting. Despite one of the players still suffering from the previous night's festivities and one being unable to swim, a great day was had by all. The tour moved on to Ottawa where we took on the mighty Ottawa Scottish. The game was well won by the University and we had the honour of playing on one of the Canadian national pitches. This match will be remembered by most for the appearance of the 'bullet' on the wing for the University.

The final destination was Toronto where we visited the harbour and also took a dizzying tour up the world famous CN Tower. A match was played against Toronto Welsh and we were disappointed to tie the match and not end the tour on a winning note. Overall, touring Canada with the University was a great experience. We were able to build on the bond that had been developed within the squad when we returned and started our domestic season. Despite the mixed results on tour, the fitness and skill that was developed within the club rubbed off on those who had not been able to go on tour. Canada will always have a dear place in all our hearts.

Newfoundland U20s L
The Dogs W
Ormstown L
Oshawa Hawks L
Ottawa Scottish W
Toronto Welsh D



North America


France 1985

Touring Squad: Sean Escott, Richard Maxwell-Furby, Douglas McAdam, Tim Lai, David Craig, Byran Payne, Paddy Cronin, Tim Allan, Angus Dudgeon, Alan Murray, Colin McAdam, Innes Wright, Donald Morgan, Steven Duncan, Christopher Galyer, Cameron Glasgow, Gerald, Isbecque, Drew Allan, Rodney Fleming, Peter Black, Malcolm S. G. Cannon, Neil Ferguson, David Simons


British Columbia:
USC Old Boys
Okanaga Reps
University of Victoria
University of British Columbia.

Canada 1980 Canada 1980 Canada 1980 Canada 1980 Canada 1980 Canada 1980 Canada 1980


March 1979:
Grenoble University

Grenoble 1979

DEVON 1977

West Country & Cornall:
Bath Combination XV
St Ives
Torquay XV

Devon 1978


March 1972: "That evening we were back on form. Memories of the hotel manager being tackled in the middle of the dance floor will live forever. Indeed this was a tour to end all tours with the captain, Dave Borrowman, scoring his first try for the University in fifteen-a-side rugby in his last match."

Jersey XV
Jersey RFC
Jersey United Banks
Jersey Beechers O.Bs


In late September eighteen members of the University Rugby Club assembled at Harwich for an adventure to Holland. In fact we were competing in an International Student's tournament organised by the Dutch to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the rebuilding of Rotterdam. Teams from all over Europe were participating and St Andrews were Scotland's representatives, whilst a strong combined Newcastle and Durham Universities team represented England.

Belgium Universities
Durham/Newcastle XV
University of Paris
Dutch Universities

Holland 1971


The first match of the tour was against Cambridge County in Cambridge on the Monday evening. The University were not at full strength being minus key men through injury but none the less tackled a side containing two English trialists, six East Midlands players and the rest local county players.

Easter Tour to Cambridge and London: 22nd March-27th March 1970:
Cambridge County
Orleans RFC
Old Creightonians RFC

In 1871 in the first international between Scotland and England at Raeburn Place, three St Andrews students, A. Clunies-Ross, R. Munro and J. S. Thomson are seen to have represented Scotland. Since then the club has produced 22 International Rugby players who between them have gained 150 international caps, 4 British & Irish Lions and 8 players have represented the Barbarians.

Saints Sport
Give to Saints Rugby
Play for Saints Rugby
Learn about Saints Rugby
University of St Andrews
Performance Sport
Rugby Union Program
Saints Sport Facilities
Saints Rugby Committee
University of St Andrews Admissions


The Men's Rugby Club is one of four Focus Clubs within the University which means they receive support from the Department of Sport and Exercise ranging from fitness testing to educational seminars relating to improving performance in sport.


The University of St Andrews has developed the most advanced rugby program in Scotland which offers student athletes a range of coaching, training and support opportunities, allowing them to excel in their sporting achievements.


The rugby pitches at University Park in St Andrews are the home of Saints Rugby and renowned across the country as amongst the finest in Scotland. A fully floodlit training pitch is complemented by the new fully floodlit Rugby 4g pitch, one of only two in Scotland.


The Rugby Club is run by two student committees, one for Men's Rugby and one for Women's Rugby, both of which are responsible for the club's off field management and both led by a full time Director of Rugby, David Ross.


St Andrews is Scotland's first university and the third oldest in the English-speaking world, founded in 1413. Over six centuries it has established a reputation as one of Europe's leading and most distinctive centres for teaching and research.

1858 Club
Rugby Club History
Rugby Club Hall of Fame
Rugby Club Past Captains
Rugby Club 150th Anniversary

1858 CLUB

The University of St Andrews RFC is proud to announce the creation of a supporters club, the 1858 Club, which enables alumni, friends and family the chance to invest in the future of rugby at St Andrews and provide the very best facilities, training and experience for future students.


Rugby has been played in St Andrews for over 150 years, since the rugby club's foundation in 1858. A founder member of the Scottish Rugby Union (SRU), the club was the nursery of Scottish rugby football in the 1860s and the birthplace of 'passing' the great feature of the back game.


In 1871 three St Andrews students represented Scotland in the first ever international rugby fixture against England. In total, the club has produced 22 international rugby players who between them have gained 150 caps, including 4 British and Irish Lions and 8 Barbarians.


Captaining The Saints is a huge honour for any student coming to study and play rugby in St Andrews. In 1986, the role of captain was split in two for the first time, with off field duties assigned to the Club Captain leaving the 1st XV Captain to concentrate on the club's on field performances.


In 2008, the club celebrated 150 years of rugby in St Andrews with a special week of events which saw the South Africa Rugby Legends take on the Scottish Legends on University Park, a coaching clinic for local kids and culminated in the Sesquicentennial Alumni Dinner.

Scottish Varsity Match
St Andrews 7s
Saints Rugby Squads


The Scottish Varsity Match between the University of St Andrews and the University of Edinburgh takes place every year in London, following the inaugural match back in 2011 and dates back more than 150 years predating the annual Oxford versus Cambridge Match.


Since its inception in 1970, the St Andrews Seven-a-side Tournament has grown to become the largest student run 7s in the UK, with teams from around the country returning to University Park at the end of April each year to fight for the historic Drummond Trophy or Stanley Plate.


The club turns out three Men's teams and one Women's team on a Wednesday in British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) Championships. Men's and Women's 1st XV squads play in the Premier 1A leagues, and participate in the BUCS Cup competition, with the Men's 2nd and 3rd XV squads in the lower tiers


Along with the Rugby Club's charity work, the Community Outreach Program, in partnership with SportScotland, Active Schools, Fife Rugby and Saints Sport sees members from Saints Rugby coach after school rugby in the local primary schools for 6 weeks.


The University of St Andrews Rugby Football Club is very grateful for the kind and generous support of sponsors KPMG, Alliance Trust, Kukri and Nutrition X. Click on the link below to find out more about our sponsors and the sponsorship opportunities available.

Alliance Trust
Nutrition X
St Andrews Dental Care
Sandy's Bar